Governance & Strategic Leadership
In this category you will assess your organization in the following three areas: strategic leadership, board roles and responsibilities, and board structure and operations. Listed below are the various standards within the main areas of Governance & Strategic Leadership. For a more in-depth overview of this category we encourage you to listen to the short video located in the right hand corner of this page.
- Our organization has a clear mission, vision, and set of values.
- Our organization regularly engages in strategic thinking and planning.
Board roles & responsibilities
- Our organization operates in compliance with relevant legislation.
- Our board has mechanisms in place to fulfill its financial responsibilities.
- Our organization has a sustainable and ethical resource development plan.
- Our board fulfils its fiduciary responsibilities to staff, volunteers, clients and community members.
- Our board has an effective relationship with the Executive Director.
- Our organization is clear about our board and staff roles.
- Our board has good risk management policies and practices.
- Our board makes effective use of our membership.
Board structure & operations
- Our board structure and model enable work to get done effectively.
- Our board plans and operates effectively.
- Our board has systems and processes in place to ensure its stability and renewal.
- Our board members understand their roles, responsibilities and the opportunities for growth and development.
- Principles of anti-oppression are embedded in our board policies and practices.